What We DO
This department provides medical care to patients who have problems with their heart or circulation. It treats people on an inpatient and outpatient basis.
Outpatient: short visit to hospital that lasts no more than a day.
Inpatient: hospital visit that requires at least one night's stay on a ward.
Typical procedures performed in the cardiology department include the following:
- Electrocardiogram (ECG) and exercise tests to measure heart function.
- Echocardiograms (ultrasound scan of the heart).
- Scans of the carotid artery in your neck to determine stroke risk.
- 24-hour blood pressure tests.
- Insertion of pacemakers.
- Cardiac catheterisation (coronary angiography) to see if there are any blocks in your arteries.
- MRI scans.
- Myocardial perfusion scans.
- Radionuclide tests.